Friday, June 4, 2010

Well, it didn't quite make it.

Not much of my plan got accomplished yesterday. Cake and dinner, yes. Mowing, no. It turns out that the mower needs a new fuel filter very badly, and chokes up almost immediately. Joy. ANd the painting couldn't get done, because the washer and dryer were going all. day. long. And the boys were up. Ever try painting with *one* three year old? A good, sits still and doesn't do much more than drive cars/play with dolls three year old? Yeah. I don't have one of those. I've got two of the "swinging from the ceiling fans the moment mom's back is turned" types. The kind who dump the entire container of sugar (just over 4 lbs worth) onto the kitchen floor. The kind who get the raspberry jam and eat it straight from the jar. Yes. Those kind. Even better, when I am cleaning up the mess from one boy, the other one is off making yet another.

I realize that that makes it sound like my home isn't child proof. Or that no one is paying any attention to what is going on around here. Wrong on both counts. Contrary to popular belief (and my children's sworn statements), I do not, in fact, have eyes on the back of my head, super-hero level hearing, and psychic abilities. I do, in fact, have a pile of garden and animal chores, housework, and other things that do, from time to time, distract me momentarily from the children's whereabouts.

I realize that this is a problem. Short of installing a velcro wall, and making some velcro pjs for the boys, I am in what one might refer to as a "spot". I can work for about 3-4 minutes, and then I had better go make a run through the house to see where they are, what they are doing, and what they did in those few minutes. WHich leaves my project in a vulnerable state....free to be manipulated, folded, spindled, mutilated, stapled, you name it, and they can do it....by said three year old duo. Or even one of them.

Its a tiring life. But a good one. Keeps me on my toes. Keeps my blood pressure from mellowing too much. Keeps the kitchen floors clean (that's for sure). I know that there will be years down the road where I can get things done...where I can have nifty little things on lower horizontal surfaces...and I will look back and long for the days of Mr Clean Magic Erasers, when I wore an apron with pockets big enough to hold anything and everything I can pick up off of the floor, throughout the day...but right now, I think I'd just settled for a few days where I can paint and craft in peace. LOL. Once a month.

Ah well. I've got a good life.

Thanks for the birthday thoughts for my husband. He had a delightful dinner of hamburgers (his choice, btw)--homemade, of course--and a rich dark chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. He got some nice shirts he can wear for work and the entire Bourne saga on dvd. I've never seen any of them (these are the new ones with Matt Damon in them), so watching the first one last night was quite a treat...we're planning on watching the second one tonight, so it will be a fun night...assuming that we don't have something happen between now and then, of course! LOL.

I do hope that you all are planning on a nice weekend--something around the house/yard/garden, maybe visiting with some friends. We're going to be super-busy, trying to catch up in the garden and yard (new belt on tiller, new fuel filter for the mower, and we'll be all set to go). Then maybe I can get some things done in the house...hopefully, I will get "something" photo worthy accomplished!

Til then...

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post!! It sounds exactly like one of my days around here! My 3 year old and his older brother are like two peas in a pod and get into EVERYTHING. You know how it is, you drop the laundry you're folding to go and investigate that sound you just heard upstairs. Meanwhile, while you're getting that situation under control, they're back downstairs making little piles out of all of the clean laundry that they can jump into. "Like leaves Mamma...see we can jump into them just like leaves" Oh boy! Haha - it is a good life though!

    Thank you for your visit today. Hope you have a great weekend!

    God Bless,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete